Sunday, February 17, 2013

Living in the sticks

I grew up I the suburbs, and I loved it.  I had no dream of city life.  I always envisioned raising my kids in the quiet 'burbs as well.  My wife grew up in a big city, she loves the hustle and bustle of city life, but she too sees the benefits of raising kids outside the city.  However neither of us envisioned the more rural settings that we live in as where we would end up.
Here in Israel, you have the option of living in every conceivable setting there is, from big city, to rural farm and everything in between.  So you might ask, with all those options, why do we choose to live on a hilltop off the beaten path?
There are many reasons, but the best way to summarize it is quality of life.  While we may have spotty public transportation, we have a neighborhood full of people who will give you a lift in or out.  Our kids have the run of the neighborhood, with only a couple of streets, and enough cul-du-sacs and walking paths. We don't worry about them crossing busy streets or getting lost on the way to a friend's house.  And since everyone here knows each other, my kids that their parents are always watching them.  I have a yard with grass and a great view, an herb garden, a vegetable garden, and a couple of trees.  All of this for a fraction of an apartment in the city.  Sure it may take us more time to go out to a nice dinner, but because we are right in between 2 major cities, we have plenty to choose from.
Besides, I have a much better appreciation for Jeff Foxworthy's humor now that my neck is a darker shade of red.

No comments:

Post a Comment